How To Oshoko (Offer Incense)
Offering incense is a symbol of purification. When we offer incense, it is not a desire for something in return. Many practices in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism are exercises in being mindful. Here are the steps.
- Bow with your hands at your sides about 3 feet away from the incense burner.
- Starting with your left foot, take a few steps until you can reach the burner.
- Take a very small pinch of incense and put it in the burner.
- Now place your hands together and bow reciting “Namo Amida Butsu”
- Now place your hands back at your side, and take two steps backwards starting with your right foot.
- Bow again.